A Visit to the Dentist

A visit to the dentist is one activity I'd rather put off for when I'm eighty, but sometimes extenuating circumstances, like a piercing pain in your tooth force you to advance your visit.

Having never had much luck with dentists before, what with one of them drilling my tongue by mistake instead of my tooth( duh! and yowl!) , you can imagine the trepidation with which I set out looking for a dentist in Hyderabad. And can you believe it, I actually located a dentist through a signboard on the road and took my chances as I walked in.

Dr. S turned out to be a genial and eccentric man. Not to mention, quite cool. He had a rock song as his ring tone and seemed totally with it.

When I went to him, I had this excruciating pain in my molar. It turned out to be a botched up root canal job from one of my earlier dentists. Ho-hum! What's new. So he suggested I get an implant.

I had to go for my extraction one evening and when I went there, I could listen to Pearl Jam playing on the stereo. He felt the music would calm my nerves. Quite thoughtful! He then proceeded to seat me on the dreaded dentist's chair and took out a whole range of dental implements that looked like fancy gardening tools. Were all those things going to be inserted into my mouth?

Apparently, they were. After administering the anaesthetic, he proceeded to insert each one of those shiny tools into my mouth. I could hear crunching noises from my mouth and I started resembling a vampire that had just feasted on its latest victim what with all the blood, but surprisingly, I didn't feel a thing. What a relief! Now I have to go for the implant and I'm waiting for doc to fix up an appointment for me with the implantologist.

Niggling anxieties about whether the implantologist will do a good job keep mounting with each passing day.And not hearing from the dentist at all is hardly assuaging my fears considering I've already paid Rs. 5000 as advance.

It's been more than a month since my extraction and I've been roaming around town with this yawning cavity where my tooth once was, waiting for my dentist to get in touch. He assures me that he remembers the appointment has to be fixed and will do it soon. Wonder if the implantologist has just run away or vanished without a trace. And thus my weird experiences with dentists continues...

Comments

Aravind said…
huhaah.. the dentist that reclining chair the tools on the sides and after a thought the dentist starts to look like a gadget as in the "Transformers".
but visit to the Laser eye test centre and the consequent travel home after the dilation was scary to me..

Popular Posts