Working in Hyderabad

I worked with Cognizant, Chennai from October 2005 to March 2007. After a three- month sabbatical, I have joined UBS, Hyderabad. This is the first time I'm living away from my parents. So far it has been a good experience.

The first two weeks that I was here, I was living in the company-allotted guesthouse. I had to look for a flat to move into within those two weeks. Miraculously, I managed that, thanks to my friend who noticed an ad in the newspaper. So no hassles with any brokers. I went for my pre-employment screening to Apollo Hospitals in Jubilee Hills.

Every day, it would rain and we would get caught in the showers. By the time my dad arrived from Chennai with my wind cheater and umbrellas, the rains were over!

I visited Ten Downing Street (a night club), Sparks( another night club, which sucked), a few eat-out joints, the Husain Sagar lake, Nagarjuna Sagar Dam, Ettipotala falls, and Hyderabad Central( a mall).

One thing I found odd here was that discotheques are located in malls and not in 5-star hotels.

I missed my team outing to Celebrity Club on a Sunday where they went horse riding, played cricket, and swam. I had to go looking for flats since I was at the guesthouse that time, and only saturdays and Sundays were free for that purpose.

Now, UBS has over 1000 people at its India Serice Center( ISC) and recently, Clive Standish, the CFO, and the Chief Minister of A.P, Y. Rajasekhar Reddy, inaugurated the facility here.

I had my mandatory training sessions in financial markets although my role is that of an English language editor. My designation here is Senior Analyst.

I'm leaving for Chennai today to be with my family for the weekend and I can't wait. I miss the things that I took for granted at home.

Although I've moved into a beautiful 2BHK here, I still haven't got a maid.The only candidate for the maid position demanded 1200 p.m!

There is no one home when I get back, except for the television set. There aren't that many shops here as there were in Chennai and I miss the convenience of everyday shopping, not to mention my friends and family...

So Chennai, here I come!

Comments

Popular Posts