#RIPSreedevi

I was born in the late 70s in South India and lived in Chennai till 1989. So my childhood included the song 'Devi, Sri Devi' on TV and discussions of the star in school. However, I've never really been into Tamil movies. So, it wasn't until 1987 that I was mesmerized by the star - the year Mr. India came out. I was all of 10 years old and thrilled to see two of my favorite actors - Anil Kapoor and Sridevi - give their kid-friendly performances.

I soon learned the lyrics to 'Hawa Hawai', including the introductory nonsense lyrics. As late as 1993, I would be asked to render this song at 'parties' I went to. I would close my eyes, the lights would be dimmed, and I would start singing. It became a tradition with that gang of friends to make me sing this song. There would be muffled guffaws and giggles that I would ignore.

I've watched Mr. India so many times. Over the years, I've watched almost all of Sridevi's iconic films. Even now, they show Chaalbaaz and Jaanbaaz on TV so often. I marvel at her super-expressive face and kid-friendliness combined with a sultry on-screen presence. She was the quintessential child-woman.

So this morning, when I woke up at 5 am to see two articles in one of my Whatsapp groups, both of which said she had passed away last night, I was in shock. Much like the rest of the world, I prayed that it was a hoax, but was saddened that it was true.

I feel a part of my childhood that was kept alive by her is dead. However, I console myself that she will live on in our hearts and on celluloid.

#RIPSreedevi.

Comments

Popular Posts