Book Shorts - 1

'Bali and the ocean of milk': The blurb on the cover says the book “re-imagines the eternal conflict between the gods and the asuras in a whacky thriller littered with bad jokes and corpses.” Describes the book to a T. Found it quite a page turner!

‘The Hunger Games’: This is the first book in a trilogy targeted at young adults. When I read the storyline at the back of the book, I didn’t think I would enjoy it, but the book’s popularity prompted me to borrow it from the library. Once I started reading it, I found it unputdownable. Although I really liked this book, I wonder if it’s suitable for young adults since it is about teens who take part in a game, which involves killing everyone else – survival of the fittest – until only one emerges victorious.

‘Love you to death’: Really enjoyed reading this first book in the ‘mediator’ series by Meg Cabot targeted at teens. It’s about a young girl who moves with her mother to sunny California to live with her stepdad and stepbrothers. What sets her apart from the average teen is that she can see and talk to spirits. What’s more, there might be a romance brewing between her and a certain handsome spirit that inhabits her house!

'The wonderful story of Henry Sugar and six more' by Roald Dahl: In his inimitable style, Dahl weaves magic in six short stories that leave you asking for more. I found the title story particularly interesting.

‘An Equal Music’ by Vikram Seth: A book I truly savoured! Here are a few quotes from the book that particularly appealed to me.

1. "...unenlightened yet not thirsting for light." Simply loved that phrase! Placed in the context in which it appears in the book, it's pretty funny :-)

2. "Stray phrases like shooting stars on a horizon enter my mind" - page 114

3. “There is something spectral to her tremulous pallor, as if she has just landed from another planet and is trying to come to terms with her displacement and to perform her transgalactic mission simultaneously' - page 172

4. "Julia stares at it with fascinated repulsion" - page 221

5. "....Peter's relationship with their kitten Pitou, who is only a year old and likes sleeping in her cello case when she is practicing...” –page 227

Comments

Popular Posts